Using Cisco Wifi Controller for Employee and Guest Wifi
- The client was using two different ISPs one each for employee and guest wifi.
- Employees were sharing the guest wifi to bypass the firewall, web filters and security policies on the main network.
- Client was paying enormous amount of $$$$ to ISP. Operational and IT management costs were too high.
- Multiple wifi access points (APs) were in place. Changes were done on each APs when needed.
- APs were poorly places in the building and causing wifi performance issues
I did the project research and came with following proposal based on the requirements:
- Cisco Wifi Controller with new Access Points
- Barracuda Web Filter 410
- VLAN network from APs, controller and ll the way to the Web filter to not allow guests traffic into internal network
- Sungard High Availability Services
- Use of Layer 3 wifi security for the employee network
- Using Layer 2 and 3 security for the guest network
- Using Cisco Wifi Controller’s security policies
|Using Cisco Wifi Access Points / Controller and VLAN for Employee and Guest Wifi Network|
- Client saves a lot of dollar amount they were paying to the additional ISP
- Isolation of the guest and employee wifi was achieved using the same network hardware but using VLAN.
- Use of Cisco Wifi Controller helped IT department save lots of time in operational and maintenance costs and hence the hidden costs
- With the combination of Layer 2 and 3 wifi security, employees could not use the guest network easily